Thursday 21 April 2016

My 16 in '16 Challenge

 
As you may have seen from other posts on the Lapsed Gamer Blog my colleague Adam Ducker has set himself a Race to 100 challenge in which he hopes to play and complete 100 games during 2016. I wish Adam the best of luck with his challenge, and from his February update he seems to be on target.
 
As I have recently finished the story and DLC cases in LA Noire I was trying to decide what to play next, but I haven't been able to settle on anything. By chance Darn Ragnar (@justin_knowles) contacted the show with his plan to make a shortlist of games to play to try and ease the struggle of choosing something when you have so much choice. He eventually settled on a list of 20 games spread across PC and consoles.
 
As the end of April is very nearly upon us that leaves 8 months until the end of the year and I decided to put together a list of 16 games to play and complete before the end of the year. Why 16? It was purely an arbitrary choice based on the year to create a "16 in '16 Challenge". It also nicely works with the 8 months to give a completion rate of 2 games per month.
 
To compile my list I used the Edge 100 Greatest Games list from 2015 and picked games that I already owned, but had never played/completed. I also added a couple of others that are well regarded, but didn't make the list (Doom II, Beneath a Steel Sky, Mass Effect).
 
My final list of 16 is (in no particular order)
 
Beneath A Steel Sky (GOG.com)
Bioshock (Steam)
Earthbound (SNES)
Her Story (Steam)
R-Type Final (PS2)
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2)
Metroid Prime (GC)
The Stanley Parable (Steam)
Nidhogg (Steam)
Mass Effect (Origin)
Vanquish (PS3)
Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS3)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Advance Wars (GBA)
DOOM II (Steam)
 
I'm using Backloggery.net to keep track of my progress, and I'll post updates on the blog and talk about it on the podcast.
 
Let me know what you think of my challenge, the choice of games, or if you have set a similar challenge for yourself.
 
Stuart
@saintlystuart

No comments:

Post a Comment